Recently we’ve been posting a lot about bike safety, and this isn’t without merit. Bike accidents are more prevalent during the summer, and with more people than ever biking to and from work, as well as getting into bike races and competitions, or just out biking for fun, bike safety is a must these days. Below are 10 quick reminders for when you’re out travelling on two wheels. These tips are especially helpful for children and first time riders.
- Always wear a helmet. They’re fairly inexpensive these days, and are much more comfortable while adding more protection than they have been in the past. Pick one up today and always ride with one.
- Check traffic prior to riding into a street – this is common sense, but it is an incredibly important safety measure to always remember and to teach to young children.
- Avoid riding at night – even with reflectors, sometimes bicyclists are still difficult to see to drivers. Remember, just because you can see a vehicle, doesn’t mean that it can see you.
- Obey all traffic signals and signs – you are a vehicle on the road just like automobiles are, these traffic signals and signs apply to you just as they apply to motorists.
- Ride on the right hand of the street – Always ride with traffic instead of against it.
- Check your brakes before riding – this is a must, brakes can go at any moment if not properly maintained, remember to always check them before it’s a problem.
- Cars and pedestrians should have the right-of-way – Automobiles will outpace your car and pedestrians always have the right-of-way, remember this and all three parties will remain safe.
- Wear bright colored clothing so that you are visible to motorists – Especially important if you must ride in the dusk or darkness.
- Take extra caution when turning left – Motorists often do not expect left hand turns since bicycles do not have turn signals the way that automobiles do, always use caution when making that turn.
- Avoid loose gravel, broken pavement, and leaves – all of these elements can cause your bike to skid out or cause an accident. Use extra precautions around these elements.
Keep these safety suggestions in mind during your next ride and you should stay safe. Parker flags cares about bike safety, which is why we offer our high quality bike safety flags at such a great rate. Call or click today to find out more.